About Imagine a Day Without Water
Imagine a Day Without Water is a national education campaign that brings together diverse stakeholders to highlight how water is essential, invaluable, and in need of investment. Next year, the day of action will take place on October 21, 2021, and will include events, resolutions, student contests, social media engagement, and more, all across the country.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who can participate?
Anyone who cares about water and our nation’s infrastructure challenges is encouraged to join. In the past, we’ve recruited water and wastewater providers and agencies, mayors, local officials, contractors, civil engineers, schools, aquariums to participate in Imagine a Day Without Water, but welcome all those with a water story to tell!
How does my organization sign up?
Visit our sign-up page, enter a few basic pieces of information and you’re in!
What should my organization do for the day?
If you need some ideas to get started, check out our list of Ways to Participate.
What if we want to do something that isn’t on your list of suggestions?
Go for it! We encourage you to participate in whatever way best fits your organization and your community.
What materials do you have that we can use?
Our Resources page includes social media graphics and customizable templates. Additionally, the Value of Water Campaign toolkit, “What’s the Value of Water?” has another suite of useful materials including print ads, bill stuffers, and more.
Can we suggest additional materials we want?
Of course! Please send your ideas on what materials would be of help to the program manager, Katie Henderson at email@example.com.
Highlights from 2020
On October 21, 2020, the Value of Water Campaign hosted our sixth annual day of action, Imagine a Day Without Water. Imagine a Day Without Water raises awareness about the value of water and the need to invest in water and wastewater infrastructure by asking Americans to imagine a day without life’s most essential resource. Check out the Value of Water Campaign’s Imagine a Day Without Water Summary Memo and highlights scroller below.
Here are some Highlights from Imagine A Day Without Water 2020:
- The US Water Alliance hosted a digital National Forum featuring One Water leaders including Tom Barrett, Mayor of Milwaukee, Byron Brown, Mayor of Buffalo, and Wade Crowfoot, California Secretary for Natural Resources. Didn’t catch it last week? Watch the recording here!
- Benny Starr, US Water Alliance Artist in Residence, released this video showcasing songs from A Water Album and highlighting the importance of an inclusive water future.
- Members of the US Water Alliance’s Smaller Cities and Towns cohort participate in this video project sharing what they’d like their communities to know about water management and systems.
- Water utilities showcased their essential work, including KC Water who partnered with Seattle Public Utilities, DC Water, Cleveland Water, San Antonio Water System, Atlanta Watershed, and Denver Water to produce this video celebrating the importance of water.
- Across the county, public officials issued proclamations declaring October 21 a day to value water, including Governor of Oregon and the Governor of Hawaii.
- On Twitter, over 700 accounts contributed to the conversation through tweets and retweets, reaching an estimated audience of 24 million accounts.